Author Topic: Resin kits  (Read 1252 times)

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
Resin kits
« on: November 25, 2016, 01:40:47 AM »
I'm looking into getting my first resin kit. I'd like to have a Kshatriya in my collection and resin is the only way I can see to get it in 100 scale. I'm wondering what are the pitfalls of resin. I understand  that resin can have better detail. Can someone explain how to assemble a kit and what extra work is involved? Will I need different tools? Has anyone made the Kshatriya resin kit like the e2046 or mersa?

Ryuken 76

• Wolves lose no sleep over the opinion of sheep
    • View Profile
Re: Resin kits
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 01:54:29 AM »
Resin kits are a whole new type of build,a lot more preparation is needed depending on the mold quality and some even require brass rods and pins,I've only used Resin conversion kits and even they were a pain.I suggest looking up some videos and tutorials before spending your cash maybe even consider a conversion kit to learn from like I did as they are cheaper.And if you do decide on buying one always wear a mask because resin fumes and dust are poisonous.Good luck.

Daven

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 12:35:20 PM »
I'm looking into getting my first resin kit. I'd like to have a Kshatriya in my collection and resin is the only way I can see to get it in 100 scale. I'm wondering what are the pitfalls of resin. I understand  that resin can have better detail. Can someone explain how to assemble a kit and what extra work is involved? Will I need different tools? Has anyone made the Kshatriya resin kit like the e2046 or mersa?

I would suggest getting a simpler kit to start with if you're new to resin. Building a plastic kit and a resin kit is essentially the same, just that resin is harder to sand. Also, how easy the build is depends primarily on the cast quality so choosing who to buy from is key, especially for something as highly detailed as the MERSA kshatriya. Last tip, DON"T BUY from e2046, no matter how low their price is, you're just throwing your money away.

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice. What is used to assemble resin? Is it super glue or is there a specific resin glue? I'll keep clear of e2046 are they bad casts or bad service?

Daven

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 02:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice. What is used to assemble resin? Is it super glue or is there a specific resin glue? I'll keep clear of e2046 are they bad casts or bad service?

Depends, if it's a full resin kit rods, magnets or super glue can be used. If it's a conversion the parts usually mounts onto a Bandai frame.

I've had and seen a few e2046 kits and they're really poor quality in terms of details and parts shrinkage.

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 03:50:36 PM »

Depends, if it's a full resin kit rods, magnets or super glue can be used. If it's a conversion the parts usually mounts onto a Bandai frame.

I've had and seen a few e2046 kits and they're really poor quality in terms of details and parts shrinkage.

Would you have any recommendations on where to get some decent resin kits and is there any kits that were particularly good. I prefer zeon suits but would mind an over the top feddy grunt suit.

rockpopandchips

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 04:23:58 PM »
I have only 2 resin kits so Im no expert, not by a long shot. I have a 1/144 FSS mecha from E2046 and its back in its box. The details are very poor and I put it together with paper clips and super glue, its only small and it seems to work well.

The other is a Side3 hobby resin kit for the 1/100 Jesta. Its one that fits over the normal plastic frame but I have learnt a lot about handing, washing, sanding, filling,re scribbing and painting resin parts. I would definitely recommend starting with something like this. If you get the Daban MG Jesta and the resin kit from Toaboa it very cheep wave to get a very nice kit and if you mess up a few parts no big deal.

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 04:44:34 PM »
I have only 2 resin kits so Im no expert, not by a long shot. I have a 1/144 FSS mecha from E2046 and its back in its box. The details are very poor and I put it together with paper clips and super glue, its only small and it seems to work well.

The other is a Side3 hobby resin kit for the 1/100 Jesta. Its one that fits over the normal plastic frame but I have learnt a lot about handing, washing, sanding, filling,re scribbing and painting resin parts. I would definitely recommend starting with something like this. If you get the Daban MG Jesta and the resin kit from Toaboa it very cheep wave to get a very nice kit and if you mess up a few parts no big deal.

Thanks for the info defo staying clear of e2046. I'll have a look around and see what I can get my hands on.

sneeper1980

• Administrator
  • Just Lounging
    • View Profile
    • Sneepers robot garage
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 11:49:04 PM »
if you want some great tutorials on how to build resin kits, try looking up mvm3897 on youtube. you wont be disappointed. Mr Matt Mrozek is the man behind the channel here on youtube. he is really good at showing step by step how to build and paint resin kits. from prep work to fixing just about any problem you would run into on a resin kit.....he will cover it. also his work speaks for itself. he taught me how to do resin. also good places to get resin kits....g system shop, g systems best, hobby wave has a small selection of resin kits but their stock is pretty low. they used to be the place I picked up all my neograde resin kits. you can always find the odd resin kit here and there on ebay. I am sure there are tons more places that I don't know of....so ask the forum members here to help out. I am sure there are a few guys that can help

link to mvm3897 youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/mvm3897

link to hobbywave.com http://www.hobbywave.com/

link to g systems shop http://g-system-shop.com/

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:51:59 PM by sneeper1980 »

TimMather

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 12:37:49 AM »
ive done kshat kit and have experience of mersa and e2046.
im not an expect in resin but have done many, a superG kshat, a garbaldy, a gerbera and dress ups.
firstly e2046 casting is dogshit so i would stay well clear of them, honestly i got a recast mersa nightingale from them and i ended up scrapping it as the casting was vile.
the mersa kshat that is doing the rounds is basically a recast of the utopia cast kit, i would not recommend it for a beginner, it has no ball joints and youll have to source some yourself, youll also have to scratch build hinges for the binders.
i would say the superG kshat would be better for a beginner but still a really big kit to start with.
have you thought of doing something smaller?

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 12:43:20 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll try a mod kit rather than a full build to see how I get on. Besides I have to save my pennies since I just ordered the mg psycho zaku, stupid bandai. Honestly though so great advice.

Daven

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 04:20:13 PM »
ive done kshat kit and have experience of mersa and e2046.
im not an expect in resin but have done many, a superG kshat, a garbaldy, a gerbera and dress ups.
firstly e2046 casting is dogshit so i would stay well clear of them, honestly i got a recast mersa nightingale from them and i ended up scrapping it as the casting was vile.
the mersa kshat that is doing the rounds is basically a recast of the utopia cast kit, i would not recommend it for a beginner, it has no ball joints and youll have to source some yourself, youll also have to scratch build hinges for the binders.
i would say the superG kshat would be better for a beginner but still a really big kit to start with.
have you thought of doing something smaller?

Actually Mersa is the original maker of the Mersa Kshatriya. It's debatable though if they took Neograde's version, super-detailed it and call it their own. Google them and you'll find they made quite a few poseable resin kits.

Utopiacast is a re-caster, they do however add some panel lines and modifications to some of their recasts, similar to SMS.

SuperG Kshatriya is supposed to be a recast of Neograde, but the binders that open are clearly SMS's version, so it might end up to be a recast of SMS's recast.

tobiasronnertz

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • https://tobiasronnertz.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 07:48:57 PM »
Don't do recasts. It's unfair to the creators/designers/artists at all points, especially when it comes to garage kits. It hits them really hard. Go for the source. You will have good quality and great service from most of them.

On a building note. Resin is heavy, you'll probably need to pin most of the parts so a good pin vise and drills is a must.
The other really important step is to give all parts a warm soapy bath, to dissolve the release agents from the casting process. Then rinse the parts and brush them under running water with an toothbrush to get them clean and good. Otherwise you'll have problem glueing and painting the parts. Rough sandpaper is also on the list, to roughly sand the two areas thats being glued together helps the glue to stick a lot, and for resin you'll need CA glue.
You can encounter airbubbles too so a good sandable putty is your best friend. 

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
Has anyone worked with an Elyn kit? Seen a 1/100 Griefer which has a plastic injection frame but resin armour looks fookin amazing! My concern is it's a lot to shell out for a kit I know nothing about. I have looked up Elyn but the only reviews I can find are for the Khsatriya which I think was plastic injection for the armour too. I'm not fused with doing some clean up or prep work I'm more thinking of warped parts and badly fitting. It does look fantastic though! Difference with this kit as well as the armour parts is that the parts are still on runners not 'cleaned and prpped' like the Khsatriya kit. Any information greatly  appreciated.

maxxx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »
I have the Greifer from Chilok Toys (think this is also Elyn/Mechanicore), though I have not built it. It has the same frame as the Elyn Kshatriya but comes with a mix of resin armor and plastic parts. The resin parts are not that bad. It's the frame that worries me. lolz... Glue is a must on this one.