Author Topic: Painting Pre-molded Joints?  (Read 312 times)

DZMaven

• View Profile
    • DZMaven on Wordpress, Video Reviews and Gunpla Galleries
Painting Pre-molded Joints?
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:51:35 PM »
Thought this would be an interesting question for the more experienced painters and perhaps handy for the new painters.

What are the best methods for painting the pre-molded frames, hands and joints of more modern kits such as in Real Grade and some Master Grades?
Things like the frames and hands that come molded on one runner but feature molded in joints and what not.

Since I've gotten back into the hobby I've just omitted even attempting to paint these over fears of getting paint inside the tight tolerances of the joints and mucking things up so I wonder how the pros approach this.
My Youtube with my Gunpla Reviews!
https://www.youtube.com/user/DZMaven

GundamUK

• Administrator
  • Forum Fiddler
    • View Profile
    • GundamUK
Re: Painting Pre-molded Joints?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:01:24 PM »
I would suggest using Lacquer paints, since they're the most resistant. You'll never really completely negate scratching, but good priming, a good coat of paint and a strong top coat is the best you can do. I've never really had a problem TBH since the moving parts creating the friction are normally out of view.

OtakuOnABudget

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • Otaku On A Budget
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:46:30 AM »
Agree with Simon here. I'd like to add that some drybrushing effect helps conceal the scratches that naturally occur. My go to frame color when I expect to repose the model a bit after paint is grey primer followed by flat black on the entire frame assembled, repose all the joints and hit the all the previously unreachable areas with again until I cover everything that might show when the armor is back on. I then follow this with a metallic post shade (gunmetal usually), then drybrushing with silver to bring out the edges, or just go straight to drybrushing from the flat black. I like the flat black base because a very thin layer is enough due to it's opacity, so joints don't end up too tight.
I'm cheap. Deal with it.  http://otakuonabudget.blogspot.com/

TimMather

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 04:03:04 AM »
agree with simon, lacquer is hardest best to use, although i got away with enamel with alclad on these hands. dont pose the kit of even move joints before taking photos.

multiple image

Redval89

• Architect by Profession / Gunpla Builder Hobbyist
  • Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • RedvalGunpla1989
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »
The problem is usually on male pegs and female pegs when painted that tend to be thicker than its original size so when I paint I cover it with masking tape like the male pegs and the inside of female pegs so that when you assembly it after painting it will fit perfectly avoiding putting much pressure that will cause some accidents.