Author Topic: Finding clients willing to spend more  (Read 317 times)

shiro11

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • ani-mei.com
Finding clients willing to spend more
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:26:40 AM »
I have been doing commissions non stop for the last 6 months and after watching Matt Mrozek's video on changing his commission prices and GundamUK's post about the value of commissions I feel like I really have to change the way I have been doing things.

I did a few commissions in the fall of 2015 but that dried up and it took until the summer of 2016 before I started getting any more. I am not sure if it was advertising on Ebay model sales or just the popularity of IBO bringing in new fans but it was fairly easy to get commissions to the point that I could stop advertising and still receive offers.

The problem though is that even though I knew I was low balling my pricing I didn't realize how bad it was until recently and even with that I still get many people who are surprised and back out of commissions.

Right now I am doing commissions for way under minimum wage and seemingly less than half the prices of what the norm supposedly is and I desperately want to raise the prices but I just can't seem to find where the types of clients who would pay minimum wage + materials are.
My gunpla site - Ani-Mei.com

sneeper1980

• Administrator
  • Just Lounging
    • View Profile
    • Sneepers robot garage
Re: Finding clients willing to spend more
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 04:54:41 AM »
sorry things are not going the way you want my friend. i for one love the work you do and know what good commission work looks like. keep your head up shiro....your work speaks for itself and if people want your work they should pay the price for it. i feel that way for pretty much all the people out there trying to acquire commissioned pieces for themselves.  your experience is why i dont do commission work myself. i just dont have the heart to charge people what i really think my work is worth. good luck with this my friend. i am sure things will pick up soon.

CupcakeMecha

• View Profile
    • facebook.com/cupcakemecha
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »
Maybe 1 out of 5 commission request are serious in my experience.  Usually they just want to talk ideas, and don't want to pay above base kit and shipping. Ultimately I decided to do the math so that one commission pays for one of my personal builds to try and make the hobby 'free'.  I personally believe it's unrealistic to try and survive on commissions as your primary income. It's a hobby, and that requires a lot of work hours per build.

TrueGunpla

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:08:05 AM »
CupcakeMecha pretty much said what I would have said. I don't do commissions for Gunpla yet but I have done for other media. Your time is worth money. I would suggest if you are looking for more client base just expanding on more social media ect. The clients are out there, don't give up on it

Daven

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:57:03 AM »
Commission is a funny thing from my experience in quoting people prices.

Person A asks Person B to build and paint a kit "X"

Person B quotes $100

Person A is shocked at how expensive it is and think Person B is overcharging

Person C appears and asks Person A how much to build and paint the same kit "X"

Person A quotes $200

Moral of the story: my time and work will always be worth more than others  :)

Josh Twobad

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »
I did a few miniature-painting commissions in the past but had to realize that there's not a good market (yet?) for models and miniatures I could see myself doing. I guess the right way would be to check-out the markets first and then to work in that field, but painting historical miniatures or building models from the StarWars and millitary scale-modelling range....meh.
Facebook - Twobad