Author Topic: What to upgrade?  (Read 252 times)

chippy

• View Profile
What to upgrade?
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:44:51 PM »
Hello guys hope you can help me. Im planning to upgrade my tools. What i currently have:
Generic airbrush about 25usd
2 aquarium pumps as a compressor
Nail polish and decanted spraycan

I used to have a tamiya spraywork but it gave up on me but i still have the spraygun. My problem is i have to thinned down the paint to use to my generic airbrush resulting to 4 to 5 coats to see the paint color. I'm thinking on swithching to acrylic bcos i think its more suitable to my set up. Thnx
More Grunts to the World

Daven

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
Re: What to upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 03:25:34 AM »
I don't think the problem lies with your airbrush, but with your paint or thinning ratio. If your need 5 layers to see black paint then there's definitely something wrong.

Also, if you don't intend to use lacquer paints a generic airbrush will do the job. The reason these cheap airbrushes break down so quickly is due to the corrosion of the O-rings. You shouldn't have this issue with acrylics.

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
Re: What to upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 08:55:42 AM »
I've used generic airbrushes with no problems. Ideally I'd have an iwata or the like but until my current brush gives up I'll put off getting one. For me the compressor gave me the improvement I needed. I had a generic makeup compressor which had a max pressure of 20 psi I got myself an inexpensive badger for 50 and haven't looked back. I don't need to thin as much any more as I can raise the pressure a bit higher. In my brief experience I also found that different colours and brands need different levels of thinning. Tamiya, which are great acrilic paints, need about a 50/50 ratio unless it's the metallics which need a little less. I'm trying Mr color lacquers on my current build and it's about 60/40 ratio but I'm using a higher pressure. Now the only issue I've had recently is the ump primers which are amazing and smooth as silk but my previous set up couldn't handle it. I changed to a larger needle but no joy it took racking up the pressure to nearly 50 psi to get it out of the brush with no spitting.
In summary if you need to thin as much as you say check your pressure if the compressor. From experience a max pressure of 30 psi as a minimum should help. Unless you use some prethinned like allclad or the like which use 15 psi or even less.
It's worth checking your brush is thoroughly cleaned a partial block of the nozzle effectively reduces you nozzle size down, i.e. a 0.3 nozzle with a blockage could be running like a 0.15 which would need thinner paint or higher pressure.

Hope this helps. airbrushing has been a steep learning curve for me but you don't need to spend a fortune to get a basic decent setup.