Author Topic: New Builder (From the UK)  (Read 439 times)

gundam_gloucester_uk

• View Profile
New Builder (From the UK)
« on: February 25, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »
Hi All,

My name is Matt and I am 37, father of 2, living in Gloucestershire in the UK. I have recently discovered the hobby of Gunpla building, purely by accident but think it may grip me. I was a scale model builder in my early teens, but when I got older and discovered going out etc, and I lost interest. I have always been a fantasy and sci fi fan, and love the different genres.

I was at a former colleagues house a while ago and his son was building a Gunpla. I didn't know what it was but I thought it looked cool. I didn't think much of it until last weekend when I was helping my sister out at a car boot sale and I noticed someone selling some kits in their clear out. I ended up buying them for 10 in total. There were 4 complete kits, all HG 1/144 kits, and after checking the manuals, all the runners were there still sealed in the bags, and they included all the other bits too.

I have to be honest I know nothing of the Anime series, and only know a little of the background of Gunpla after watching some youtube clips and checking out some websites. From some of the clips and images I have seen, there is some really cool looking models. The only thing I have seen similar to this is the Pacific Rim film.

At the moment I just making a list of the tools I need (using a YouTube Beginners Guide), then I will order some so I can start to build in the coming week (or so).

I have also just joined the G-Club UK Facebook page.

Anyway, I just wanted to stop by say hi and introduce myself.

Regards
Matt
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:28:10 PM by gundam_gloucester_uk »

gundam_gloucester_uk

• View Profile
Re: New Builder (From the UK)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »
The 4 kits I bought in the car boot sale were:

- HG 1/144 Iron Blood Orphans Vidar
- HG IBO 1/144 Astaroth Origin IBO
- 1/144 RGM-79 GM Gundam Thuderbolt Ver.
- 1/144 RG Gundam Astray Red Frame

I don't know if they are any good in terms of quality, but I thought they would be a good place start.

Siwrx

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • Hangar-MK
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »
Hi and welcome, I must say that's a pretty good bargain you got there, one HG kit on it's own is easily 10 with shipping, the RG is a higher range and worth even more. Furthermore you grabbed some pretty recent models which are well designed. In term of building quality the HG are easier to start with but can often be a bit of a let down for people who don't paint as the color separation is done with ugly stickers and seam lines might be quite obvious. The RG line offers an amazing level of details and of mobility but is also quite complex and includes a ridiculous amount of (tiny) parts for the scale so I would keep this one last. I assume if you were building models before you intend to paint these ones too ?

gundam_gloucester_uk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 01:31:20 PM »
Hi Siwrx,

Thank you for your welcome and your comments. I am pleased that I got some decent kits in my haul.

Yes, it is my intention to paint them I think that it finishes a model off well if you paint, even if it is with a clean finish, i.e not weathered etc.

My plan with these kits is to paint them with clean colours and try to put in the line highlights on for panel separation. I think if I get a few kits under my belt first to get some practise with cutting, cleaning, building basic painting etc, then after I can start to add a bit more detail in model by model.

I am just trying to watch a few videos to get some ideas of tooling, paint brands, etc so I can order some an get started.

gundam_gloucester_uk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:49:12 PM »
I like this tutorial on Youtube by ZakuAurelius and I like the idea of following along with the 10 part video - https://youtu.be/i4G5iuxJBUs

I did see the model online (HGUC 083 MSN-03 Gyunei's Jagd Doga 1/144) for 22 delivered (seems a bit steep?), but I am tempted to get it as my first Gundam, and use it to follow the tutorial.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 01:50:49 PM by gundam_gloucester_uk »

Siwrx

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • Hangar-MK
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:46:17 PM »
If you are in a hurry you can find gundam models in the UK but prices can indeed be quite steep, I personally build really slowly and usually order my kits directly from Japan, SAL shipping is the best compromise for one kit and for imports lower than 14 you shouldn't get charged VAT. 22 delivered for a Jagd Doga is an OK price I would say considering the kit is quite a bit bulky but make sure the kit is definitely stocked in the UK. Gundam models come in all forms and shape and within the same range boxes won't all be the same size or weight.

Hobbylink Japan has been around for 20 something years and has a great selection but there are other alternatives like Plaza Japan, Banzai Hobby or Hobbysearch to name just a few. Your can also sometimes find good prices on Amazon, usually the kits are also shipped from Japan. Customs are a bit of a gamble but more than often importing from overseas helps to get a better deal, if you are patient of course.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 02:51:09 PM by Siwrx »

Multiyogibear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
welcome and you sir got lucky with those kits

gundam_gloucester_uk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »
If you are in a hurry you can find gundam models in the UK but prices can indeed be quite steep, I personally build really slowly and usually order my kits directly from Japan, SAL shipping is the best compromise for one kit and for imports lower than 14 you shouldn't get charged VAT. 22 delivered for a Jagd Doga is an OK price I would say considering the kit is quite a bit bulky but make sure the kit is definitely stocked in the UK. Gundam models come in all forms and shape and within the same range boxes won't all be the same size or weight.

Hobbylink Japan has been around for 20 something years and has a great selection but there are other alternatives like Plaza Japan, Banzai Hobby or Hobbysearch to name just a few. Your can also sometimes find good prices on Amazon, usually the kits are also shipped from Japan. Customs are a bit of a gamble but more than often importing from overseas helps to get a better deal, if you are patient of course.

I am not in a hurry, I like to do things fairly slowly as I like to do things as well as possible, certainly when I start out on something new. What I am going to do is work on the kits I have and use them as teaching kits, expect to make mistakes etc.

Hasaki

• The Old School
    • View Profile
    • hasakiart.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 12:36:01 AM »
Welcome, always glad to see new comers to the hobby.

GundamUK

• Administrator
  • Forum Fiddler
    • View Profile
    • GundamUK
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 05:02:52 PM »
Welcome Matt, always nice to see another blighty dweller :)

gundam_gloucester_uk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 07:53:24 PM »
Welcome Matt, always nice to see another blighty dweller :)

Hi GundamUK,

After seeing my colleagues son's Gundam I came home and searched online for Gundam in the UK and your site popped up. The information and examples on your site convinced me to have a look at the hobby in more detail.

rockpopandchips

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 12:51:08 PM »
You jammy sod, thats a great find at a car boot, the Astray is a fantastic kit and very detailed and well come.

Ryuken 76

• Wolves lose no sleep over the opinion of sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum :) :).I managed to get 3 MG's on ebay for AU $50 delivered albeit they were pre built but stickers etc were unused and the build quality wasn't too bad,great for spare parts etc. The kits are the A Gundam,Turn X Gundam and the Aegis Gundam.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:30:29 AM by Ryuken 76 »

cielodeusx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »
Late greeting sir, Also great find the RG line is my favorite tedious as all hell at times, but you're in for a treat.

PenguinSteve

• Artist that takes breaks with Gunpla
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
Welcome, good luck to you. We will be here with thoughts, support, and ideas for you at any time