Author Topic: Core Set/Suite of Paints?  (Read 283 times)

gundam_gloucester_uk

• View Profile
Core Set/Suite of Paints?
« on: February 27, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
Hi All,

I am very recent to the hobby and have picked up some kits see my intro post on the Introductions Board.

I have ordered some tools and am now looking at paints. In my past scale modelling (Airfix, Revell), the paint numbers were all referenced, in the kits I have (referenced in the introduction post) they have coloured squares with comments on % mix. What I am assuming is that the colour squares are a guide to suggested colours and it is up to the builder to choose what he wants to use, colour, brand etc.

What I want to ask is: is there a set of colours you would reccomend getting that would be used on most Gundam models? Black, White etc come to mind, but is there a set/suite of colours you would suggest being the core of my set up, with specfic colours then added as and when to suit my final Gundam Colour Scheme?

Thanking you in advance.
Matt

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
Re: Core Set/Suite of Paints?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »
Hi
Welcome......
You best option would be to go to your hobby store or an online seller like eModels. eModels in particular as they sell Mr.color ( I know the wrong spelling but hey). Mr.color is the paints used in the bandai painting guides. The only issue with this is two things
1/ they are the lacquer based paints which if you've only used the likes of humbrol might be a bit far removed, I.e they are very toxic and you need resperator and extractor.
2/ they wouldn't have the full range due to the large selection available in Japan, which is where the paint is made.

eModels can be very helpful if you email them with the colours you need for a couple of your kits they can suggest the Mr.color acrilic alternative which they have a larger selection of.

Also don't forget your primer stick with a black and a white or only grey in shade this is essential to get the paint to adhere properly. Myself I use ultimate model products poly primer it's a fantastic primer which is self levelling so the smoothest finish possible, it's very forgiving.

To be honest I wouldn't stick with a set get specific to your needs. You will end up with paints you don't need.

This is part of the hobby which is the most fun for some, building up your supplies as you go.

Hope this helps somehow I thick I've just ended up rambling a bit sorry!

gundam_gloucester_uk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »
Hi Simono8216,

Thank you for your feedback. I am much more used to acrylic paints, but that was many many moons ago. I see that the instructions call up custom mixes rather than straight out the can (so to speak) colours, so I guess that it is going to be up to my visual preference anyway because measuring some of those %'s are subjective.

I have decided to start with the HG 1/144 Iron Blood Orphans Vidar Gundam as my first ever model. I think I will keep it as straight forward as possible too just to get one under my belt, which means keeping the paint options simple and repeatable (i.e. a simple mix) and see how it goes.

Matt

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »
The Mr. Color/ Mr.hobby acrilics are great they go down very well with great coverage. Those or Tamiya which are real workhorse paints with a huge range. If you want to keep in line with the colours on the vadar, great kit by the way, try the Mr.color acrilics they won't disappoint.

gundam_gloucester_uk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »
The Mr. Color/ Mr.hobby acrilics are great they go down very well with great coverage. Those or Tamiya which are real workhorse paints with a huge range. If you want to keep in line with the colours on the vadar, great kit by the way, try the Mr.color acrilics they won't disappoint.

Cheers for the suggestions. I will check out emodels.co.uk in the morning and check out their range. I will probably stick to the kit colours but I have to be honest, the blue(ish) scheme isn't all that appealing.

cielodeusx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 07:25:41 AM »
Lots of good info here already and good luck with the vidar. If in the future you want to get into more UC (universal century) I know Ammo by mig has some sets that include all the colors for the standard Gundam paint scheme and a set for green grunt Zakus all in acrylics.