Author Topic: Paint types - Quick overview  (Read 535 times)

GundamUK

• Administrator
  • Forum Fiddler
    • View Profile
    • GundamUK
Paint types - Quick overview
« on: September 13, 2016, 01:17:05 PM »
In general there are three paint types commonly used in modelling with the following characteristics. Different paint types can be used for various effects and situations as required.

• Enamels: Oil-based, long dry time, cures hard, levels well, toxic. Good for base coating metallics, good for glossy work
  • Acrylics: Water-based, quick dry time, cures soft, levels ok. Generally non-toxic, good for bright colours and easy to work with be thinned with water depending on brand
  • lacquers: Solvent-based, very quick dry time, cures hard, toxic as hell, good for metallics and primers

Whichever brand you choose, it is recommended that you use the manufacturers recommended thinner if you are new to a a range or do not have a lot of experience thinning paints. There are some 'universal' thinners available but these will always require testing before use.

All three can be used in combination, or just one type, depends on the results you are after and what you are comfortable working with.

TimMather

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
Re: Paint types - Quick overview
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 10:40:44 PM »
will just add, there is also 2K paints which are used for some super glossy clear coats
"The paint consists of different resin, made of acrylic and melamine (the proper title is Two Pack Acrylic Enamel). When you mix your paint, you add a second resin, or hardener, called Poly-isocyanate Resin. At this stage a chemical reaction takes place between the two resins which makes them harden."
these paints/clears are used to give a wet look glassy finish, the advantage is the clear will harden and not bed down like other paints that dry as the thinners evaporate.

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 11:16:39 PM »
will just add, there is also 2K paints which are used for some super glossy clear coats
"The paint consists of different resin, made of acrylic and melamine (the proper title is Two Pack Acrylic Enamel). When you mix your paint, you add a second resin, or hardener, called Poly-isocyanate Resin. At this stage a chemical reaction takes place between the two resins which makes them harden."
these paints/clears are used to give a wet look glassy finish, the advantage is the clear will harden and not bed down like other paints that dry as the thinners evaporate.

Is there anything specific you'd need to do to use the 2K. ie pressure or distance from what your painting. Also where is the best place to get the paint?

Josh Twobad

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 06:19:30 PM »
In recent times I'm a bit puzzled regarding the difference between enamel and laquer, 'cause the sellers in Germany,who finally stocked Mr. Color, label it as "enamel based colors, containing solvent" (!?)
Facebook - Twobad

GundamUK

• Administrator
  • Forum Fiddler
    • View Profile
    • GundamUK
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:15:06 PM »
In recent times I'm a bit puzzled regarding the difference between enamel and laquer, 'cause the sellers in Germany,who finally stocked Mr. Color, label it as "enamel based colors, containing solvent" (!?)

This is because of varying regulations and laws regarding storage, definitions and shipping unfortunately. You can blame bureaucracy for it lol. I always go by how the manufacturer defines it.

Josh Twobad

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 07:23:56 PM »

This is because of varying regulations and laws regarding storage, definitions and shipping unfortunately. You can blame bureaucracy for it lol. I always go by how the manufacturer defines it.

Ah, now things start to make sense again. I almost started to doubt my sanity, 'cause Mr. Thinner just doesn't smell like mineral-spirit at all. Guess I have to keep this info quiet then...don't want them colors to be banned or anything  :D
Facebook - Twobad