Author Topic: Painting tips  (Read 329 times)

Zeusfactorx

• View Profile
Painting tips
« on: March 18, 2017, 05:32:27 AM »
I am planning on painting my master grade unicorn gundam OVA version, but this is my first full paint job. I have seen many videos on how to go about it, and they usually separate all the pieces by color and then paint each color. I am afraid with all the multiples of parts that if I just throw them all together and paint them, I will not be able to find them again once it is time for reassembly. Any tips or anything from any of you better painters?

Ryuken 76

• Wolves lose no sleep over the opinion of sheep
    • View Profile
Re: Painting tips
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:26:44 AM »
Put the pieces into seperate bags and name them like "leg frame parts" and ''leg armour'' etc.then just paint a bag at a time.

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:34:32 PM »
You cant go wrong with that advice. Also when it comes to assembly try using a tray with a felt top, sometimes called a card tray. The bonus is the lip of the tray you don't lose the smaller parts to the carpet monster and the felt top stops parts getting scratched . If you lay everything out you will surprise yourself about how much you remember parts go.

CupcakeMecha

• View Profile
    • facebook.com/cupcakemecha
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
I take Ziploc bags, write the exact paint color on each bag and break it down like that.  Typically when you go back to reassemble, it's a lot easier than you think because you'll know, "Oh, this was a white piece for the arm" and find it in the white bag.  Since you assembled it once before, it's not too confusing at all, in fact I assemble much faster this time around.

Othikent

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:31:17 AM »
What are people using/suggest for a flat coat? Right now I'm using Liquitex Matt varnish, it works alright but I feel there must be a harder wearing option.

Simono8216

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 04:16:02 PM »
Depends what your undercoat is. For acrilics I'm using Ammo of Mig or Greso. For laqceur I'm using allclad flat kote but I believe you can get a 2k Matt clear which is tough as nails. I've used the gloss and it's very good. I've no complaint with the flat coats I'm using.

Othikent

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 09:16:57 PM »
Thanks! I mostly use acrylics so I'll check those out. 

imalipusram

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:17 AM »
If you spray light coats, all varnish are ok on acrylic.
I've used without any problem Tamiya, Gaianote, Alclad and Liquitex.
To sort them by strength :
Liquitex (water acrylic varnish) < alclad (enamel varnish) < Tamiya (alcool acrylic) < Gaianote (Lacquer)

allways make some test on a spare part/plastic spoon to check if your ratio thinning/pressure/distance of spray is ok.
You can ruin a kit with a failed varnish :(