Author Topic: HGLM Evangelion Unit 04  (Read 342 times)

WarMachine395

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • WarMachine395
HGLM Evangelion Unit 04
« on: April 22, 2017, 02:41:44 AM »
Now this isn't my usual kind of build but sometimes its just fun to have a real change of pace.
Anyway this kit is a gift from a friend, and I've been working on it through my exam period.

First up I've stripped off the chrome-ish paint, can't recommend Zep Industrial Purple enough for this it might have taken 30 seconds to strip the paint clean off all of the parts, and did absolutely nothing to the plastic.

I've scrubbed the parts down with some water too, just to clear off the final bits of residue, and I've been progressively sealing up the seam lines along the way.

I got it in my head at some point I'd like to have some spears to go with it, while they aren't anime accurate in the slightest (the real thing would be a real pain to scratch build) they could make for a decent looking stand-in for what I'm thinking of doing.

When it asks, "Are you a robot?"
Is "I wish" an acceptable answer?

Othikent

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
Re: HGLM Evangelion Unit 04
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 05:49:53 AM »
Nice looking forward to seeing what you do with this. I picked up a unit 00 myself. I've just got it snapped up at the moment, it's really nice especially for a Limited model. I want to paint it up but the arms pose a problem with the rubber parts.

MrAdam5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 02:48:10 PM »
Kinda neat that they used clear for the painted parts. I'll have to try Zep on a future project, thanks!
Instagram: MrAdamGundam

patrick_modelnut

• View Profile
    • My Blog: patrickmodelnut: Pats Model and Gunpla Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:52:26 PM »
Nice!
The designs from Evangelion are certainly interesting subjects and i'm sure this will be fun to paint.
That "Zep" is definitely looking like its not fooling around, must be stronger than bleach!
Might have to switch over. Good stuff buddy.
Pat aka Patrick Modelnut

Sieg Zeon!

https://patrickmodelnut.wordpress.com/

WarMachine395

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • WarMachine395
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 03:27:26 AM »
@Othikent Thank you very much! Its an older kit and I feel like it shows its age a bit, but its still a lot of fun to work on :D
Yes, the rubber bits are nigh unpaintable, so I've painted what I can of it

@MrAdam5 Yeah the clear white plastic was something of a a surprise, I'd seen Industrial Purple/Purple Power recommended online and figured I would try it out too.

@Patrick Yeah, Evangelions are quite a departure from my usual kind of build. The Zep Industrial Purple is brilliant stuff! I'd seen it recommended online as Purple Power, but I've only recently been able to find its equivalent here in Canada. They seem to carry it at Canadian Tire if your interested.

Since I've had a lot of time over the last couple of days I've been working quite a bit on this.
There are a few nested parts (specifically the knee joint) that needed special attention and the lower arms are completely unpaintable.
But, I have managed to do quite a bit, and I've made the decision to keep this in a Berserk state for all time, because it just looks cooler that way. How many Mechs are there out there where you can open its mouth up and show off its teeth.

Ali

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • GUNPLA ALLEY
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »
very original work, looking forward for the finished product!
Grunt mobile suit please

www.scalebuilds.blogspot.com

WarMachine395

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • WarMachine395
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 05:20:21 AM »
@Ali Thank you very much, though its not too original its just a very slight alteration of the OOB colours and trying to remove the seams (and failing a little bit)

So I think I'm pretty much done with the kit at this point with a few minor bits to add here and there, and some touch ups.
Additionally I've been working in the background to make a display base for this.

WarMachine395

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • WarMachine395
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 02:00:45 AM »
More progress! I've been working on a display base for the Eva.
It still needs paint, I'm intending for this to look like concrete pads, and I had the idea to mount the Eva with the power plug.
In addition I cut a few lines in the plaque to fit the spears in around the Eva.

Othikent

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:49:01 AM »
Nice. I plane on doing something similar with mine when I get around to it. I like your idea to use the plug as a stand. Cna't wait to see this painted.

WarMachine395

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • WarMachine395
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:35:40 AM »
@Othikent it feels like a bit of a weird angle for the plug, but if you get something you can bend into shape I think it works quite nicely and the connection feels surprisingly solid.

So I think I'm pretty much done. I absolutely plan on taking some better photos of it in the next couple of days but for now my cell phone photos may have to do.

So I had roughed up the surface a bit and then primed and painted the surface in a pretty neutral grey.
As one last touch I decided to paint a four in the middle, just one coat of the same red I used earlier so it won't stick out too much.
Then I weathered the base to give it the battle worn Tokyo-3 look, and the spears have a bit of rust to give them some age.

Othikent

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 05:21:55 AM »
Nice. Looking good.