Author Topic: Building my first diorama  (Read 363 times)

rockpopandchips

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
Building my first diorama
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:06:58 PM »

Ok so this is how I went about building my first large-ish (30x25cm) diorama base  for a 1/100 scale Zaku tank.

First up I started with the black hard plastic lid from a food container and I set about laying out the scene and building up the rock formation with polystyrena packing sheets just to get a ruff idea of shape and size to the rock`s.

After adding some more polystyrene to the plastic lid, I should say this was all glued using good old PVA, I then went about giving it some shape and I ended up with this. I did use local moor land and the rock formations as a reference so if your ever on Ilkley moor you might see something similar.

Next up, I covered it all in plaster and as I had some kicking about I used the stuff you would normally skim the walls in your house with. When it was still wet I used a large flat brush to give some rock looking details, added the tracks for the tank ( this is not the best way to do the tracks but I will come back to this) and added some fine sand ( this was actually concrete mix) over the area I was going to cover a grass land.

When this was dry I did sand down some of the very spiky bits to smooth them out and when I was happy I stared on the paint. Gry primer and then a black pre shade to help with the shadows. I then started with a dark grey base coloure and then went on and dry brushed various sand, earth and browns over the gray.

When this was all dry i added a few wahses of red, yellows and green. I ended up using the kids poster paints for this. You can see some of the washes here.

Then I made a start on painting in some grass, this was built up from dark green to light greens and then some yellow washes, but I used the air brush for the washes to get a better blending of the colours, well that was the idea anyway.

I added some very small rocks these are real but only from about 1 to 4 mm square and few tufts of static grass.

After this I did go back with a few more washes over the grass and that was it finished.

The thing I would do differently next time , first I would use the tank to make the track marks, probably by covering the wet plaster in cling-film and then push the tank into the wet plaster. The other thing I might do is add the static grass directly to the dio. I made the clumps of grass using a blob of PVA glue sticking the grass to the PVA and then covering in fine sand to hide the PVA, the down side to this is some of the tufts don`t want to conform to the shape of the land to well. The best thing about doing it this way is you can make a large batch in different shapes and sizes and save them for other projects.

Here is the grass before transplanting it.

I hope someone finds this useful and encourages you to have a go at something like this yourself, its not all that difficult but it is time consuming.

Have fun.

RPC

Siwrx

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • Hangar-MK
Re: Building my first diorama
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 08:05:45 PM »
When I saw your photos in showcase I actually thought the rocks were bought from a railroad scenery range, they look really cool, thanks for sharing.

Ryuken 76

• Wolves lose no sleep over the opinion of sheep
    • View Profile
Re: Building my first diorama
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 12:37:27 AM »
This looks awesome,makes me want to do one myself which I will in the future,great work.