Author Topic: Dragon Momoko question  (Read 376 times)

1972lt1

• View Profile
Dragon Momoko question
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:17:16 AM »
I was looking at their website and they have a  1/100 Launch Strike and a Sword Strike for sale. What is the difference between the Dragon kit and the MG from Bandai? Are they resin upgrade kits or styrene? And is Bandai aware of them? No copyright issue?

MrAdam5

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Momoko question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:34:23 AM »
I don't really have any personal experience with DM, but most of their older stuff is typically a direct copy of the Bandai kit. Their newer stuff appears to be completely made from the ground up (maybe just taking frame parts from Bandai).
Judging by the age on the Launcher/Sword Strike by Bandai, is safe to say that that kit is using the older Strike kit where as the DM kit is probably using their variant of the Strike RM that came out in 2013. So there is that difference. DM probably also added some extra details, and the Launcher/Sword appear to be slightly different. Aside from visual details, the plastic will probably not be as good and/or there may be fitting issues which will require more work.

I'm sure Bandai is well aware of the 3rd party manufacturers, but they either choose to do nothing or there is some loophole Daban, DM and the like use to get away with it. You'll notice on the packaging that they usually don't say "Gundam" anywhere on them (just on the website for some reason).
Instagram: MrAdamGundam

rockpopandchips

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 01:38:36 PM »
First off the website that has the name Dragon Momoko is nothing to do with DM, its just some person/persons selling DM kit at quite high prices.

You would do much better looking at New Gundam central http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/gundam-central-dragon-momoko I have used them and only have good things to say about Gundam Central or look up Samual Decal on face book.

The DM Strike is a version of the Bandai RM strike with a good few extra details added, it basically uses the Bandai frame and I think i have read somewere its an old resin kit used as a template for the plastic molds for the outer frame parts. Its a full plastic kit that will requires a bit more work than a Bandai kit but once built is very very nice.

I can recommend the DM Testament Gundamhttp://mecha-lounge.com/index.php?topic=474.0

There is a redit threat about the DM and apparently Bandai are fully aware of DM and what they do and are happy with then to release kits to some kind defined criteria, I can not remember fully what the DM representative said fully but the short of it was Bandai are OK with DM.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:41:07 PM by rockpopandchips »

Dead2Death

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
That Reddit thread is full of bullshit, and anyone foolish enough to take the words from the "so-called" DM rep should be ashamed.

Dead2Death

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »
Dragon Momoko's factory got shut down today.

Ryuken 76

• Wolves lose no sleep over the opinion of sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
So get them while they're hot,just bought the exia 4 in 1 on eBay for $90 AUD then seen it relisted for $350 US an hour later so that mother f&@!?r better send mine.R.I.P. DM  :'(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:43:27 PM by Ryuken 76 »

MrAdam5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »
Thats crummy news. Never bought any DM kits before, but wanted to get the MetalBuild Stirke Freedom and Destiny at some point. Oh well I guess.
Also, Gundam Central has almost no DM kits left already. I expect by the weekend it'll all be gone.
Instagram: MrAdamGundam

rockpopandchips

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »
Daban vs DM bun fight anyone? >:(

Daven

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 02:01:50 PM »
First off, the Chinese social media is full of trolls, so take any news that come out of China with a truckload of salt.

Lately Daban and DM kits are taken off Taobao website for unknown reasons, that much is true. As for factories being shut down, that's unverifiable. I suggest waiting a while longer before you get anxious. Do not pay $90 for the DM Exia let alone $350, their MSRP is around $20.

rockpopandchips

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »
First off, the Chinese social media is full of trolls, so take any news that come out of China with a truckload of salt.

Lately Daban and DM kits are taken off Taobao website for unknown reasons, that much is true. As for factories being shut down, that's unverifiable. I suggest waiting a while longer before you get anxious. Do not pay $90 for the DM Exia let alone $350, their MSRP is around $20.

totally agree with you there...

Ryuken 76

• Wolves lose no sleep over the opinion of sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 09:45:41 AM »
Looks like Bandai is suing DM now which is a shame,I really liked their kits.

rockpopandchips

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 08:07:12 PM »
Looks like Bandai is suing DM now which is a shame,I really liked their kits.

Yep me to there latest kits were very good, its a bit of a shame.

GundamUK

• Administrator
  • Forum Fiddler
    • View Profile
    • GundamUK
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 12:03:47 PM »
Ah, yes it's interesting how this has erupted in a tide of social media battles over this very subject. Personally I am with most of you, and with most of the community I expect. Yep, it's sad they're gone, it was (I suppose) an inevitable action from Bandai, and it's very likely another company will spring up in it's place. I certainly felt that DM's quality was improving although some designs where a little overly detailed.

The question is, will this take-down be incentive enough to stop others from doing the same? I kind of hope not.