Author Topic: alcohol removes lacquer paint without damaging plastic.  (Read 555 times)

TimMather

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
alcohol removes lacquer paint without damaging plastic.
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »
ok ive been in the hobby 3 years, ive watched every video, read every blog and not a single person has ever mentioned this!
i dont know weather to be happy or sad. i now have to strip all the cuffs and collars off a sinanju and figure out another paint to use, will try enamel.
was trying to be clever and use a lacquer base then an acrylic over the top which would be rubbed back with reverse wash.
ive used a enamel and then acrylic of kshat cuffs without issue in the past so will try that.

GundamUK

• Administrator
  • Forum Fiddler
    • View Profile
    • GundamUK
Re: alcohol removes lacquer paint without damaging plastic.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:37:37 PM »
Oo! I must try this.

8bit-tom

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 10:13:10 PM »
90% rubbing alchahol is the ultimate paint "un-do" button. It's stripped everything I've thrown it at except cured 2 part urethane paints. I've successfully reverse washed acrylics off of lacquer but I used mig Jimminez's acrylic thinner without hurting the underlying Mr. Color. Tamiya acrylics are a bit tougher as they're actually a hybrid acrylic/lacquer and the Tamiya thinner can react with lacquer paint.

Excellent work on that SMS Kshatriya btw. That kit was a BEAST.

Squee

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 11:04:50 PM »
Damn man, i had to go back and try to find the post you made on FB about your plans to do this. I remember writing a reply warning not to do this, but i guess i didn't hit enter. :/ Isopropyl Rubbing alcohol 90% is my go to paint stripping liquid.

TimMather

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 02:33:52 AM »
Damn man, i had to go back and try to find the post you made on FB about your plans to do this. I remember writing a reply warning not to do this, but i guess i didn't hit enter. :/ Isopropyl Rubbing alcohol 90% is my go to paint stripping liquid.
would have helped lol. no worries. ive used enamel as a base before, will do that again.