Shop with Banzai Hobby!

Author Topic: My topcoat/panelwash method failed!!?  (Read 148 times)

1setsuna1

• View Profile
My topcoat/panelwash method failed!!?
« on: November 07, 2017, 01:11:01 AM »
Hi!! My first time posting here! I used to use HobbyFanatics but tthey closed!?   :'(

So I have this problem: I painted 2 layers of acrylic, followed by a Tamiya TS-80 topcoat and then followed by a panel wash. The problem is that when I use small amounts of thinner to clean up the panel wash it striped the topcoat and some acrylic underneith. I thought the topcoat is supposed to protect the acrylic from this? What am I doing wrong. The topcoat is an acrylic/lacquer; and for thinner I use Isopropyl alcohol. So i'm thinking it has something to do with these two being incompatible? or maybe i needed more topcoat... I only did one layer ::)

Thanks!

Othikent

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
Re: My topcoat/panelwash method failed!!?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »
I've run into similar problems. I've found that Isopropyl Alcohol is far to good at it's job as a thinner. It'll strip just about anything. What are you using for panel lining?
I paint with acrylics top coat it with future floor wax then panel line with enamels and clean up with enamel thinners. Hope that helps.

Ryuken 76

• Wolves lose no sleep over the opinion of sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:17:18 PM »
I use a clear acrylic then clean my panels with lighter fluid,always works for me.

1setsuna1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 11:41:42 PM »
I've run into similar problems. I've found that Isopropyl Alcohol is far to good at it's job as a thinner. It'll strip just about anything. What are you using for panel lining?
I paint with acrylics top coat it with future floor wax then panel line with enamels and clean up with enamel thinners. Hope that helps.

i'm also using acrylic for panel lining, then thined with Iso. I think im using Iso for too much haha. Im guessing the acrylic, enamel, and lacquers being weakest to strongest in that order also is the same for the thinners? i.e. acrylic thinners are the weakest?

MrAdam5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:34:01 AM »
I was under the assumption that Lacquer should resist acrylic thinner? I have yet to try that myself tho. But if you're using mainly acrylic paints, try thinning your wash with just water. I know Tamiya acrylic will still work fine that way (I did my first airbrushed kit that way). That way your alcohol-paint should resist the water-paint as the water is a weaker solution or something..? I'm not 100% on the actual science here, but this is my understanding.

I've also heard of people using a paint, water, and dish soap mixture for washes and cleaning with just water.

I cheat nowadays and mostly just use a GM20 Gundam Marker. ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:36:10 AM by MrAdam5 »
Instagram: MrAdamGunpla

Ryuken 76

• Wolves lose no sleep over the opinion of sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 12:59:47 AM »
Isopropyl alcohol is good for stripping the plating on the hyakushiki,if you leave it in there for a short while it actually turns it silver.

OtakuOnABudget

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • Otaku On A Budget
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 01:51:44 AM »
Isopropyl can strip acrylic and lacquer, so a safer panel wash would be enamel based, and for cleanup use lighter fluid because it evaporates quickly, so there is less risk of it getting down into the layers of paint.  ;)
I'm cheap. Deal with it.  http://otakuonabudget.blogspot.com/

Shop with Banzai Hobby!