Shop with Banzai Hobby!

Author Topic: Introducing Myself  (Read 107 times)

Grandfather Gunpla

• The Older Newer Guy
    • View Profile
Introducing Myself
« on: November 19, 2017, 05:25:13 PM »
I wanted to make this post to say hello and to introduce myself to the community here.

Hello everyone!   ;D

I am a middle-aged model builder who returned to the hobby just a few years ago after taking a couple of decades off.  I began in the hobby when I was about six years old.  My first model was a crazy Tom Daniel's kit called Rommel's Rod.  I was more interested in the skeleton figures and weapons then I was in actually building it.  During the 1970s my interests in models began to lean towards monster and sci-fi kits (especially in the later part of the decade with the release of Star Wars, Buck Rogers, and Battlestar Galactica).  By the middle of the '80s, my interests began to change more towards music and girls, and I took up camping and fishing for things to do in my free time.

About five years ago, I took up model building once again as a hobby.  I became aware of the Gundam kits at the time but did not buy my first model of this genre until a year ago.  I missed out on sharing the hobby with both of my kids as they had no interest in it by the time I returned (I get that, "Well that's nice dad... as long as you are having fun" comment).  I was fortunate enough to become a grandfather a couple of years ago.  While I missed out on sharing this hobby with the kids, I am hoping to share it with my grandson.  I realize that these robots, along with all of the shows and books that inspired them, may prove to be a perfect way to share the hobby with him.

I have decided to build some kits that he can look at.  I also hope to take lots of photos and even make some YouTube videos that show the process and highlight the kits I make.  He is too young yet to really enjoy the experience (heck, he may want to just try to eat them or toss them off the balcony to watch them fly at this stage), so my hope is to share in these ways for now until we can actually sit down and build his first kit together.  This helps to explain the name I have chosen; it has nothing to do with being some elderly statesman of the genre or anything similar.

I watch many videos on YouTube and came across this community while watching Gunpla Talk episodes.  I am sure there will be much here that I can learn about, and I look forward to participating once my most recent purchase arrives.  Thanks for allowing me to join in, and I look forward to adding to some of the threads soon!
Grandfather Gunpla - Wishing you success in all of life.

GundamUK

• Administrator
  • Forum Fiddler
    • View Profile
    • GundamUK
Re: Introducing Myself
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 11:59:05 AM »
Welcome to the Mecha Lounge old chap and a great story of how you arrived back into the hobby at a different angle :) You're most certainly not ever too old to build and we look forward to looking at what you can do :)

Ryuken 76

• Wolves lose no sleep over the opinion of sheep
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing Myself
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »
Greetings and welcome,I look forward to seeing your work.

Shop with Banzai Hobby!