Shop with Banzai Hobby!

Author Topic: GBWC 2017, your thoughts?  (Read 397 times)

GundamUK

• Administrator
  • Forum Fiddler
    • View Profile
    • GundamUK
GBWC 2017, your thoughts?
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
I wrote a thing on this, interested to see others opinions if you have one:

http://www.gundamuk.com/2017/12/20/lets-talk-about-the-gbwc-and-how-to-fix-it-unless-youre-bored-of-it-already/

rockpopandchips

• Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
Re: GBWC 2017, your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
Some interesting views about the comp and interesting video from Tim, i no expert but the need for categories seem obvious to me just from looking at the three winner from this years winners,  the first two are very different from the 3rd place but my favorite is the Junior Course 2nd Runner Up.

MrAdam5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 02:55:31 AM »
This is the first year I've ever remotely even glanced at the GBWC (Mostly because of Tim and Henry), and the one thing that I kept having go though my head was "how are they even judging this stuff?" Of the few entries I looked at, they varied from the completely abstract to super rigid in-universe battle scenes. I just couldn't wrap my head around how this whole thing worked and just kinda admired all the entries.

So, as a "new comer" to this, categories would make total sense. Every local competition I visited this year had categories for everything. Different scales, tanks, planes, si-fi, figures, and so on. Categories in the GBWC seems like the natural step it should take. Will it? I feel like it will need to become even more mainstream for Bandai to care, unfortunately. But they do surprise us from time-to-time.
Instagram: MrAdamGunpla

Redval89

• Gunpla Builder Hobbyist PH
  • Verified Modeller
    • View Profile
    • RedvalGunpla1989
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 03:22:15 AM »
This is about like LeBron vs Curry, Pollock vs Rembrant, or atleast in most obvious mash-up Super Fumina vs Lightning Z Gundam. Gunpla is Freedom but sometimes or always have limits. Beauty vs Technical, straight vs curves. It likes asking someone what is beauty in different reference point. It is really hard for us modeller if we want to showcase as ourselves or judge pleasing or crowd pleasing entry. What makes someone say he's a good modeller? what makes  someone win or loose? Whats is the differences of being a winner this year? or last year? or upcoming year. Maybe you win today but not tomorrow. Maybe Judges see something on them that we can't understand.

The way I see it, this is not about GBWC anymore. It is about what we can offer or deliver as modellers or gunpla builders in general. It is beyond winning the crown, beauty is subjective, judges has their own criteria, and critics also. Sometimes we are drive by our emotions, envy, jealousy, or hate and forgot to respect/appreciate each other. As fellow modeller, it is hard to say to someone or criticize his/her own work especially if I'm not in that level to criticize it.

Congratulation to the winners they deserve it. Let just pass this issues and better luck next time.

Shop with Banzai Hobby!